300tdi or other?

Home Forums Vehicle Technical Discussions Defender 300tdi or other?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a well running original 2.5td in my 1988 110 CSW.  I live in the mountains (approx 10k+ ft elevation) and would like more drivability (power) so that I can use my 110 for more tasks including longer road trips and some towing.  Where I currently live every direction is up so daily driving is a matter of planning the flattest routes.  I would prefer to stay with a Land Rover motor and I appreciate the simplicity of my 2.5td so I figure a 300tdi makes the most sense.  So, I am wondering if anyone here is running a 300tdi in their 110 and are you able to maintain highway speeds and/or tow without overworking the motor.  Also, are you doing so at elevation?  Thank you.

Participant

I apologize, I forgot to ask in my last post that if a 300tdi is not the best choice, what is?  I can not afford to cram a LS3 or any other crazy motor/trans combo into it.  I prefer simple and reliable with decent power.  Thanks again.

Keymaster

Hi John, I know this is a bit late, but I can provide a bit of insight into the 300tdi. If you are looking for north american power, the 300tdi is going to leave you underwhelmed. It is miles better than the 2.5td both for power and reliability, but keep in mind its only about 120 hp stock.  I’ve got a 110 with a 300tdi and it works well for me, but I have the 1.6 military transfer case with an overdrive so kind of get the best of both worlds. I can do 65 MPH without too much strain and don’t have to slow down too much on hills. What I do like about the combo is it is very efficient. I get 26-28 MPG. Not bad for the aerodynamics of a brick.

Participant

Hey Jake,

Thank you for the reply.  My 2.5td is pumping out around 87 bhp new I believe.  It was rebuilt in Italy before it was shipped over four years ago.  I am not looking for high performance, just decent performance to add some drivability so I can take it around the state and not have to tow it to where I want to enjoy it.  I am intrigued by your engine/trans combo.  I have the LT77 and it is pretty noisy at higher speeds the few times I have actually been above 50 mph.  It is uphill in every direction here where I live.  I understand that it is not a highly refined or precise trans.  There are a lot of articles and videos out there you are probably aware showing the Ls3’s, Cummins R2.8, etc.  I am not really interested in making my 110 a powerhouse since I am certain that would just cause issues in other areas that were never designed deal with an abundance of power.  I would be interested in taking a ride with you sometime.  I could buy you lunch/dinner and top off your tank.

Thanks again for reply.

John

Keymaster

Hey John,

I’d be happy to take you up on that, but I live out of state, well out of country. I’m up in BC Canada. If you have an excuse to be in Vancouver happy to go for a rip up the local mountains. I also plan to be down for the national rally this year if you can wait.

So my 110 originally came with the 2.5 NAD and LT77. I got a steal of a deal on the 300tdi,  and it’s been great. I stuck with the lt77 which is a bit tricky to get to work right. I can’t hear the gearbox on the highway so not sure what the noise is you can hear. Tire and wind drowns the rest above 50 for me. As for it not being precise, there is a couple springs on the shifter that wear out. I replaced mine and once adjusted it’s just as good as an R380. Also the R380 isn’t really any stronger, and has a tendency to shear the input shaft. One other tid bit, by mounting the 300tdi where the 2.5 usually sat, it sits lower and further back than the stock location for the 300tdi, which I like as the 300 water pump is really high on the engine.

As for an LS3 or Cummins 2.8 they would both be great options, but yes you’d probably have to get stronger diffs, and then stronger axles, then cv’s, then drive plates. But then it would be great.

Cheers,

Jake

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.