Engine compression

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by michael swankhouse michael swankhouse 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    michael swankhouse
    michael swankhouse
    Participant

So I did compression tests on my RRC today.  #1 90 PSI and #2-8 run 112PSI to 125PSI.
    The engine is weak and when it idles (now that I have the exhaust fixed) I can hear a air leak sound on the driver’s side of the engine at idle.  I’m wondering if the front of the #1 cylinder head gasket is leaking.

Everything I’m seeing from other people’s posts on the net say 170-200PSI on a test.  Looks like I’m low all around.  The odo shows 250k+ miles.  I imagine I’ve got a tired oil pump, oval cylinders, worn rings, tired valves, and a bad head gasket at this point.  🙂

Thoughts?  I’m thinking I’m looking at a full rebuild.

MaddMatt
    MaddMatt
    Participant

I’m certainly no expert – but replying anyway – trying to make this forum more of a thing…

Sounds like head gaskets to me – have you ever taken it to JC British? I took the Disco there last week, not cheap, but I got a pretty good feeling about the place and the people – and a bit less expensive than the dealer. They also seem to have genuine interest in working on older trucks, vs feeling like they’d rather be doing oil changes on Evoques….

michael swankhouse
    michael swankhouse
    Participant

I’ve not taken it to a shop yet.  Seeing that 7 of 8 cylinders are all around 120PSI and #1 is 90PSI it tells me this engine is just worn out.

My dilema now is rebuild this one or swap a Chevy V8 into it.   I’ve been doing my own wrenching on my project vehicles for quite a few years now.  I’ll tackle this one too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.